This section focuses on the medical treatment of the effects of hemiplegia and cerebral palsy, and highlights the importance of other aspects of medical management.
- Optimisation of health and nutrition Children with cerebral palsy are a nutritionally vulnerable group, and it is important to maintain their general health and nutrition.
- Assessment of sensory and cognitive function Nearly all children with hemiplegia or cerebral palsy have additional sensory or cognitive difficulties.
- Medical treatment Details of the medical treatments available for spasticity, including botulinum toxin.
- Recommendations Recommendations for the medical management of children with hemiplegia or cerebral palsy.
- NICE Guidelines on childhood spasticity Principles of good practice by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence